The root chakra is the first of seven primary chakras in Hindu tantrism. Each chakra corresponds to different parts of your body and certain characteristics you have. In its role as the first chakra, the root chakra includes those things that ground you and bring you stability in life. Having balance within your root chakra is essential to happiness and survival in life.
What Is the Root Chakra (Muladhara)?
The first chakra is known by a few different names, including the root chakra, the base chakra, and Muladhara. It is a center located at the tip of your tailbone that circulates energy in, through, and around your genital region.
The word “Muladhara” is a Sanskrit word that means, “foundation.” This chakra is at the center of your survival, and it begins when you are born.
A baby will search for food when it is hungry. This is the root chakra at work, as the baby’s primal instincts for survival are what cause this action.
The root chakra governs stability, security, and your basic needs. Your basic needs for survival include food, shelter, safety, and basic emotional needs, such as interconnection.
When your basic needs of survival are met, you will feel grounded and safe.
The chakras are each associated with parts of the physical body. For the root chakra, this includes your adrenal glands, colon, kidneys, skeleton, bones, muscles, and arterial blood.
The root chakra connects your energy with the physical world, and from this life force you gain motivation for your basic needs, such as sleep, eating, and procreation.
Psychologically, it assists you in development of your sense of belonging, your integrity, and your self-esteem.
What Are the Seven (7) Chakras?
The seven chakras are seven concentrated centers of energy in the body. Chakra is a Sanskrit term derived from the word “cakra” that means “wheel” or “disk,” and they include the following:
- Muladhara – Root Chakra: This chakra is at the base of the spine, and it is associated with the element earth. It governs basic needs for survival.
- Svadhisthana – Sacral Chakra: This chakra is in the lower abdomen, and it is associated with the element water. It controls your sense of pleasure, abundance, well-being, and sexuality.
- Manipura – Solar Plexus Chakra: This chakra is located in your upper abdomen, and it is associated with the element fire. It controls your self-confidence, your self-worth, and your self-esteem.
- Anahata – Heart Chakra: This chakra is located in the center of your chest above your heart, and it is associated with the element air. It controls your love, joy, and inner peace.
- Vishuddha – Throat Chakra: This chakra is located in your throat, and it is associated with the element of sound and music. It controls your ability to communicate, your self-expression, and truth.
- Ajna – Third-Eye Chakra: This chakra is located between your eyes at your forehead, and it is associated with the element of light. It controls your intuition, imagination, and wisdom.
- Sahasrara – Crown Chakra: This chakra is located at the top of your head, and it is associated with divine consciousness. It controls inner and outer beauty as well as spiritual connection.
The chakra system is based on these seven chakras, which are considered centers of energy. They are always in motion, and they each govern a distinct set of physical, emotional, and spiritual issues.
To activate your 5 transpersonal (outside of the body) 5th Dimensional chakras, turn on your Merkaba, and learn how to manifest from a 5th Dimensional perspective, please check out my e-book: How to Ascend to the 5th Dimension: Where ANYTHING you want, YOU GOT IT!
Root Chakra Symbol
The symbol of the root chakra contains several images with linear meanings. The outside of this symbol is a four petalled lotus, which symbolize the four aspects of consciousness: Manas (mind), Buddhi (intellect), Chitta (consciousness), and Ahamkara (ego).
This theme of “four” is also seen in the square inside the lotus, and it represents foundational life energy, stability, and rigidity.
The inverted triangle on the inside is the elemental symbol for earth, and it reminds you that the chakra root has grounding energy.
Root Chakra Color
The root chakra is represented by the color red. Red is the color that is most closely linked to the most primitive emotional and physical needs of survival and self preservation.
Red is the perfect color to represent the root chakra, as this symbolizes physical energy, passion, courage, desire, will, and power. The red root chakra also symbolizes taking action to care for yourself.
Each color used for body vibrational alignment work holds a unique frequency, or “color code”.
Although, specific colors were traditionally assigned to each of the chakras to help clear and balance them, trying others may be useful for really “elevating the vibrational rate” of the chakra.
For example, when I was doing my last root chakra clearing meditation (as I outline below), I was using my vibrant red ball as usual when a guide clairaudiently said, “Try magenta”.
I replaced my red root chakra healing ball with a magenta one and instantly felt a giant release of more heaviness from my root!
Where Is the Root Chakra Located?
The root chakra is located at the base of your spine in the region of the perineum. This is the small area that lies between the genitals and the anus.
This chakra has the role of connecting your energy with the earth, which is called grounding.
Survival is the root of existence, and your root chakra gives you everything you need to survive. When it is balanced, you will feel a sense of safety and security.
What Is the Root Chakra Responsible for?
The root chakra is responsible for grounding you and connecting your energy with the earth. It maintains your sense of safety and security. The root chakra gives you what you need for survival.
The word Muladhara breaks down into two Sanskrit words: Mula means “root,” and Adhara means “support” or “base.” The root chakra is the foundation upon which your life depends.
How to Know When Your Root Chakra is Unbalanced?
Unbalanced root chakras can lead to fears over lack, uncertainty, money, and having enough. Feeling unsupported, doubtful, and fearful over the direction your life is taking, are all telltale signs that you need to balance your root chakra.
Root Chakra Healing
The root chakra is the basis for the proper flow of energy throughout the body, and it is the foundation on which the other chakras function.
As a result, if the first chakra is blocked or off balance in some way, it can impact how you react to all kinds of situations.
It can make you feel short-tempered, paranoid, and even aggressive. It is necessary to heal your root chakra so that you can face life with confidence.
When the root chakra is functioning optimally, you will feel grounded, at ease with the world, and a sense of security. However, when it is imbalanced or blocked, you will feel physical signs such as back pain, fatigue, and constipation, as well as emotional signs including insecurity, aggression, anger, restlessness, eating disorders, and sexual dysfunction.
In addition, blocked root chakra physical signs may include low blood pressure, anemia, depression, anxiety, and digestive issues.
When you heal your root chakra, you can address feelings of insecurity, fear, and behaviors that prevent you from meeting your primary needs.
Healing your chakra will allow you to move forward and face your challenges with confidence and determination. It is important to recognize when your chakra is imbalanced or blocked so that you can heal it.
How Do I Unblock the Root Chakra?
When your root chakra is blocked, you need to restore balance and open it so that you can feel safe and have motivation to do what you need to do for survival. The first step is to anchor yourself to the earth. You can achieve this through a number of actions. Take a look at the following:
- Burn Muladhara incense and essential oils: This form of aromatherapy can awaken feelings of safety and security.
- Repeat positive affirmations about your safety and security: This can help you break old habits and patterns and create new ones in their places.
- Engage in postures that stabilize the root chakra, called asanas: Yoga poses that are good for healing the root chakra are the mountain, warrior, squat, goddess, and child’s pose.
- Reconnect with the earth through Spiritually Grounding Yourself, or a hike in nature.
- Focus on healing from the past through meditation: I use this Ancient Meditation for Reaching Higher States of Consciousness (It works wonders for the root chakra and “letting go” of the past!)
- Work on developing self-reliance to overcome insecurity.
- Eat root chakra healing foods, such as eggs and tofu.
- Use root chakra healing stones such as smokey quartz.
You can take these proactive steps to unblock your root chakra and restore balance to it.
This will help you have the desire and motivation to continue moving forward and focusing on the things you need for your survival, safety, and security.
Root Chakra Healing Meditation
This healing meditation for the root chakra will clear and unblock your root chakra in just a few minutes!
Whenever I get depressed or start worrying about money, security or stability in my life – I do this quick root chakra meditation to recharge my root chakra and get it spinning in a good direction again!
Meditation for the Root Chakra
- Picture a vibrant red circle over your root chakra (at the tip of your tailbone extending up into your lower pelvis).
- Say or loudly think, “Clean and clear [Insert your name here] root chakra”.
- Say or loudly think, “Spin, repair, and align [Insert your full name here] red root chakra”.
- Say or loudly think, “Dear Source (or God, whatever you prefer), take all that is no longer serving me from my red chakra center”.
- Say or loudly think, “Raise the vibrational frequency of the color red in my root chakra to that of a 5th dimensional alignment”.
Thank Source Consciousness for assisting you with root chakra clearing and healing! Always be grateful and respectful!
You will probably feel a huuuge release when you do this root chakra exercise! It is a great way to activate and heal your root! This helps me with depression every time I do it!
Simply repeat the root chakra activation meditation for several days until you wake up feeling better.
Many times, I’ll have to repeat the activation for 3 – 5 days before bed, before I wake up and say, “The depression and fear has been lifted! I just feel much better!”
“This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Root Chakra Stones
Root chakra stones are a tool that you can use to activate, balance, and cleanse the root chakra. The best stones that you can use are the following:
- Red Carnelian Cleanses & Activates the Root Chakra: This stone is light orange to red in color, and it is a semiprecious stone. It represents strength and courage. It can be used to cleanse and activate your root chakra.
- Red Jasper Cleanses/Balances the Root Chakra: This stone is an earthy red color, and it is semiprecious. It is also used to cleanse and balance your root chakra.
- Bloodstone Clears and Balances the Root Chakra: This stone is dark green with red spots, and it is also semiprecious. It is rarer, and is usually worn to encourage self-esteem and repel negativity. It assists with courage, love, and friendships.
- Black Tourmaline is Great for Root Chakra Balancing: This stone is black, and it is semiprecious. It is used for spiritual grounding, and it is used to cleanse and balance your root chakra.
- Obsidian Balances and Grounds your Root Chakra: This is a black organic gemstone. It is a stone of protection, and it is good for cleansing and balancing your root chakra.
I looove this Black Tourmaline/Aquamarine Tree of Life Orgonite Necklace from Amazon!
The best way to use healing stones is to place them as close as possible to the affected chakra. You can wear them as jewelry or place them over the chakra that needs to heal.
You can also place them around your environment, whether that is your home, your office, or even your car. These stones have energy that helps your root chakra heal.
(Placing these stones in your pockets is a great way to get them close to your root chakra!)
Root Chakra Crystals
Crystals can help heal your root chakra and keep it in good health. They’ll unblock stuck energy in your root chakra and help to strengthen it naturally.
Crystals that Activate and Heal the Root Chakra:
- Cuprite: This is a red crystal, and its density helps you focus on your will to live and survive. You should use this crystal when you feel lethargic or depressed.
- Garnet: Although garnet comes in a variety of colors, you should use a red version for the root chakra. It will help earth energy flow up through your body.
- Hematite: This crystal draws you to the earth, and it helps your energy to connect with reality. This allows you to feel safe and secure.
- Moqui Marbles (The Shaman Stone!): These marbles are crystallized forms of the earth, and they will help you stay grounded when you aren’t able to get outside.
- Petrified Wood: This is a crystallized form of primeval trees, which are in a fossilized form. They serve as a reminder that you do not need to cling to the past because today is the day that has significance and meaning.
- Ruby is Great for the Root Chakra (Make sure it is real though!): This is the crystal of hope and excitement. It stimulates your passions and desires, and it helps your root chakra to focus on the anticipation of the future and gratitude for what you have today.
- Smoky Quartz Balances the Root Chakra: This crystal helps to balance your yin and yang energies. It softens anger and strengthens resolve, which allows you to live in stability.
- Vanadinite Aligns your Root Chakra to your Physical Body: This is a sparkling red crystal that helps to balance your energy body with your physical body. It aligns your energy to your root chakra.
You can use your crystals by holding them in your hand. Imagine your root chakra, and see the red light from it as it grows stronger from the strength of the crystal.
This Beautiful Cuprite and Garnet Pendant is perfect for depression, lethargy, manifestation and staying motivated!
You can also visualize yourself rooting into the earth, and standing tall and sturdy, similar to a tree.
You can hold these crystals in your hands, your pockets, or place them on your body. You can place them around your house or wear them as jewelry.
You can even make a belt that includes these crystals. Having them close to you will help your root chakra to heal and stay strong.
Root Chakra Essential Oils
Aromatherapy is an excellent way to unblock your root chakra. You can use essential oils like a Grounding Root Chakra Roller Blend, or any blend of oils including the following:
- Frankincense – I always buy This Brand whenever I can because it is more affordable than DoTerra, good quality, and usually organic!
- Spikenard – Spikenard Essential Oil is calming, relaxing, and grounding for your root chakra.
- Vetiver – Vetiver has a calming and grounding effect on emotions, making it perfect for root chakra support and restful sleep!
What Foods Are Good for the Root Chakra?
There are certain foods that you can eat to nourish your root chakra and keep it healthy, including the following Root Chakra Foods:
- Root vegetables, including carrots, potatoes, parsnips, radishes, beets, onions, and garlic
- Soy products
- Peanut butter
- Spices, such as paprika, pepper, and chives
Root Chakra Affirmations
You can say positive affirmations to balance your root chakra. Try any of the following:
- I am safe.
- I am stable and secure.
- I believe in me.
- I trust the goodness of life.
- I am powerful, rooted, and strong.
- I am centered and grounded.
- All that I need comes freely and easily to me.
- I trust in my manifesting abilities.
- My relationships are healthy, giving, and loving.
- I have plenty of money.
- Money flows easily to me.
- I am lucky.
- I have plenty of food, clothing, and shelter.
Stating these affirmations will help you reaffirm or incorporate them into your being over time.
My guides have told me that the “Spoken word is very powerful!” Use these root chakra affirmations often to stay grounded, balanced, and stable through uncertain times.
What Frequency Is the Root Chakra?
The root chakra has a frequency of 396Hz. This is the tone that releases energy and moves goals forward.
Root Chakra Tibetan Singing Bowl
This Vibrant Red Root Chakra Quartz Crystal Tibetan Singing Bowl will help heal and balance your root chakra! I am looking to slowly collect them all because their energy and chakra support is undeniable!
There are also cheaper, smaller, metal Tibetan Singing Bowls available, but I loove the pure sound, beautiful quartz crystal ones!
How Do You Know When Your Root Chakra Is Open?
You know that your root chakra is open when you are happy with your life and comfortable in your body.
You enjoy the precious moments that life has to offer, and you are able to slow down and appreciate the beauty in the world. You will be motivated to eat healthy and make good choices for exercise.
You feel gratitude for what you have, and you enjoy working for what you want. When your root chakra is open, you feel safe, secure, and have the motivation to move forward and enjoy all that life has to offer.
How to Manifest with the Root Chakra
An unblocked, balanced, healed root chakra is vital to manifesting your desires with ease and confidence from a 5th Dimensional perspective.
Related eBook: How to Become a 5th Dimensional Master
Build a Root Triangle for Manifestation Technique
Follow the above steps in this post to get this chakra center working for you!
Then, I like to build a bright red triangle in my root chakra. I imagine words written on the three sides that I’d like to manifest, such as: “Beautiful home”, “Affordable”, and the area I’d like to live in on the 3rd side.
You can do other root chakra manifesting triangles as well! For example, for depression, I’ll use 3 words such as: “Euphoria”, “Bliss”, and “Happy”, and then place the triangle firmly within my root chakra center!
Place this triangle directly within your root chakra to manifest it faster! (Make sure you are not visualizing it outside the frame of your body!)
Related Posts You May Like:
- The Fastest Way to Open Your Third-Eye Chakra
- EARTH STAR Chakra (Activate your “Billionaire Chakra”)
- SACRAL Chakra (Stones, Healing & Affirmations)
- The Definitive Guide to Decalcifying the Pineal Gland
- Ascension Symptoms 2020 (Ease your Spiritual Awakening Sickness)
Do you have root chakra healing issues? Have you tried any of the above methods to heal, balance, unblock or manifest with your root chakra? Do you have any advice or extra tips to add about the root chakra? Your comments help everyone else who is struggling! Please like us on social media, share, or comment below!